"Unprofessional conduct of a senior doctor"

About: Box Hill Hospital

I was treated by a senior doctor with rudeness, disrespect and lack of care during a painful procedure for which I was denied the promised sedation. I was extremely distressed by this and on return to the ward it was found my BP was very high. I could not stop crying and was unable to speak. I felt as though I had been assaulted.

I wrote about this in an email to Eastern Health directly within a week and received no reply. I emailed them again a week later asking directly for feedback and that they contact me for follow up but 3 weeks later have still heard nothing.

Response from Alan Lilly, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear May

Thank you for providing your feedback on your experience at Eastern Health. Firstly, I would like you to know that I am most alarmed in reading your feedback about how you describe being treated by one of our medical staff. I understand that this would have been most distressing indeed. Your experience is not in keeping with our expectations of staff. I would like to follow-up on this as a matter of urgency and ask that you provide me with some details so that I can do that quickly for you and arrange for one of our staff to talk to you about this in more detail. I am so very sorry that we have left you feeling like this and I really do hope that I can address this quickly for you. I would encourage you to email me directly at alan.lilly@easternhealth.org.au and to provide me with your name and your date of admission or discharge.

I am sorry also to read that you have emailed us and not received a response. I have checked our feedback system (which is working fully) and cannot locate any email which fits this description. I would be grateful if you would re-forward that original email so that I can see if we have a system problem that needs to be rectified.

Notwithstanding your experience, I do hope that you can see that we really do want to respond to the issues you have raised and take the opportunity to provide you with further information. I hope to hear from you soon and in any event, I will fully respect your decision. Again, I am sorry for the distress that we have caused you.

Kind regards, Alan Lilly

Update posted by May (the patient)

Alan,

I will email you as requested.

It is interesting that I received a response only after I posted publicly.

May