"Great work by the team in Broome ER."

About: Broome Health Campus / Emergency Department

Had been bitten by something and had an anaphylactic reaction. Only 1 person in the waiting room and went straight in. So glad to see the ER so quiet. The girls on duty went straight to work on getting my problem under control and to find out what had caused the reaction. Great work by the team. Was then kept in overnight for observation. Which was good also as just in case any problems through the next 12 hrs.

The only thing I ended up sharing a room with a man. Which is not a very comfortable experience at all when been ill. Something I would be asking before being admitted for observation.

Response from Maureen Crowther, Patient Opinion Cordinator, Nursing, WA Country Health Service

Dear Aries girl

Thank you for sharing your recent Broome Hospital experience on Patient Opinion.

I will pass on your appreciation and comments to the ED staff.

I'm sorry you had to share a room that made you feel uncomfortable.

We always endeavor to ensure single sex multi bed rooms but due to clinical need, mixed rooms may happen.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I hope you have made a complete recovery

kind regards

Maureen

• aries girl doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} other {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} it is helpful

Update posted by aries girl (the patient)

Thank you for the reply Maureen.

I believe if a patient is to be sharing a room with someone from the opposite sex, one needs to be told prior. I was never informed or asked and I imagine the same for the other patient. Also, the man in the other bed was an Aboriginal older man. Living in the north and having Aboriginal friends, I am aware that is something they frown against as well, as the gentleman looked very uneasy with me sharing the same room.