"Essure permanent birth control"

About: King Edward Memorial Hospital / Gynaecology

I was implanted with Essure permanent birth control at KEMH a number of years ago. The paperwork is missing the date, I feel I am being made to jump through hoops to get the date that should have been written on there in the first place. Since having Essure I have spent tens of thousands of dollars seeing doctors, taking supplements, trying different diets, having 4 root canals & then having teeth pulled, all my teeth hurt, having burning muscle pains, chronic fatigue and other more personal problems. All this time I thought I had a relapse of Ross River Virus. It was only when I saw a recall for Essure that I believe all the pieces of the puzzle finally fitted into place. Now I need a hysterectomy to remove the coils.

Response from Graeme Boardley, Director, Midwifery, Nursing and Patient Support Services, Women and Newborn Health Service, King Edward Memorial Hospital

Dear incomplete paperwork,

Many thanks for sharing your story on Patient Opinion. I am sorry that you have experienced problems with Essure and that your requests for information have not been fully facilitated. I appreciate how much more challenging this can be when you are experiencing ongoing health challenges. Please accept my apologies for the lack of information provided and be reassured that I will follow-up to see if we can do better.

I would like to encourage you to contact the Customer Service Unit at KEMH on (08) 6458 2222 or online link: http://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/forms/compliments.phphttp://www.kemh.health.wa.gov.au/forms/compliments.php - so we can investigate your case and provide you with a more personalised response. Thank you again for sharing your experience which I hope will lead to improvements that will help other patients wanting to access their health care information.

Warm regards,

Mr Graeme Boardley

A/ Executive Director

Women and Newborn Health Service (King Edward Memorial Hospital)