"Pregnancy Patient Care"

About: Broome Health Campus

Recently, I had an appointment to see the doctor for a high risk clinic appointment.

I had an ultrasound beforehand.

I saw the midwife first and she took my blood pressure and made some notes. She walked me in to see the doctor (whom I had not met before).

I sat down in the chair and the doctor looked at the midwife and asked why I would be a high risk patient. The midwife explained I was carrying twins.

The midwife then asked me a question and I felt the doctor talked over her.

I tried to explain my history to the doctor and again I felt he kept talking over me and not listening to anything I was saying.

I tried to ask some questions in relation to my care and when I should look at stopping work. The doctor said that I should look at transferring to light duties as of the following week. I tried to explain that I was feeling well and that I would like to continue as long as possible. (We live on a very remote station and Broome hospital is 4 hours away.) He did reason that if I was in town, then I could work up until I went into labour. I tried to tell him that this wasn't my first pregnancy or first twin pregnancy but I felt talked over again.

I left the doctors office and went back into the other office with the midwife and expressed how I wasn't happy with the doctor.

Staff attitude

Staff attitude

Response from Maureen Crowther, Patient Opinion Cordinator, Nursing, WA Country Health Service

Dear Scan

I'm sorry to read about your recent "communication" experience with the Doctor during your pregnancy check-up.

As health professionals we acknowledge the importance of sound communication skills and listening to our patients as a vital component for all care delivered.

I apologise that you felt you weren't listened to and "talked over" during your recent consultation.

I have forwarded your story to Shane Bolton, the Acting Operations Manager at Broome hospital to follow-up. Shane is happy for you to contact him on 9194 2855 or email shane.bolton@health.wa.gov.au to discuss this matter further.

I hope everything is going smoothly with your pregnancy and thanks for taking the time to post your story on Patient Opinion.

Take care