"Lack of women's health GP"

About: Derby Hospital

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

As a full time worker, getting an appointment for a Pap smear has proven frustrating at Derby. Each time I try book an appointment I'm told to come back on Friday, they might know if there is a female GP visiting the next week. With only one male GP at the hospital and no appointments available to see their female GPs at DAHS (Derby Aboriginal Health Service) if you are not Aboriginal. I'm overdue by two years. I'd love to have the option of seeing a female GP please.

Response from David Gaskell, Regional Medical Director, Medical, WA Country Health Service

Dear Racsf53

Thanks for bringing your dilemma to our attention. I can resolve it for you.

If you ring me on 04 0777 9200, we can discuss and, if you're happy, make a plan.

With my kind regards

David

Response from Rachele Ferrari, Operations Manager, Derby Fitzroy Valley, WACHS We have made a change

Good morning Racsf53,

Thank you for your story. I appreciate you telling your story when we met a few days ago. I have also passed on your message to DAHS, who are a separate organization to Derby Hospital.

I wanted to let everyone know we have heard your story and a change is underway.

Access to a female GP is important and we are about to commence a women's health GP clinic at Derby Hospital. Dr Heather Langsford will start these clinics on Friday next week, 9th March. Appointments can be made by calling the GP clerk at Derby Hospital on 9193 3214.

We also have other female doctors and trained nurses who can take Pap smears. If a Friday is not suitable, you can call me on 0419 043 610 and I will make sure you have access to an appointment for this important test ASAP.

Kind regards,

Rachele Humbert.

Operations Manager, Derby Hospital.