"Common courtesy"

About: Fiona Stanley Hospital / Physiotherapy

As an ongoing patient of the Physio Department being treated for Pulmonary Hypertension I am required to attend regular 6 minute walk tests with the physio team. I have been attending this clinic and the physio since the hospital opened. In all the time my carer and I have been attending this physio clinic, not once has a particular staff member acknowledged us with the basic greeting you would expect. Our most recent appointment I actually asked for this person's name this time. She keeps you waiting while you stand in front of her and she continues to either speak to colleagues or work on her computer without any acknowledgement to the patient and carer standing in front of her. If you dare to say, excuse me, she usually replies with what I consider a very sharp - I'm busy, I'll get to you shortly - reply. I have been experiencing this behaviour and witnessing it as others come into the clinic for the last few years and frankly I am fed up with it.

As someone who actually coordinated customer service departments in other organisations in my career, I find this behaviour completely unacceptable and quite infuriating. It takes a mere second to look up and smile and say grab a seat, while still being able to keep working on whatever is so pressing to her. This is not a one off occurrence, this is her regular behaviour and I feel someone needs to speak to her about it. FSH has joined in on the new patient experience feedback, so here it is! My experience when I go to this clinic is made more stressful by her lack of basic good manners on our arrival and I am sick of it!

Response from Janet Zagari, Executive Director Transformation, South Metropolitan Health Service, South Metropolitan Health Service

Dear Breathless not Helpless,

I was disappointed to hear of the lack of common courtesy you experienced at Fiona Stanley Hospital. I am sorry that you felt frustrated and ignored following your many interactions with the clinic. I can assure you that the matter has been looked into and action taken to improve the situation.

As the Executive Director of the hospital, I will continue to emphasise the importance of communicating openly and being attentive to our patients, which includes being flexible and responsive. We all play a significant role in ensuring our patients and their families have a positive experience each and every time they receive are services.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Janet Zagari

• Breathless not Helpless doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} other {{helpful == 1 ? "person thinks" : "people think"}} it is helpful