"Our visit to the ED"

About: Box Hill Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a parent/guardian),

My adult daughter was feeling unwell and went to see her GP, who was concerned and referred her immediately to the ED to get some tests done that the GP felt could not wait. We arrived at the ED at 5pm and she was finally seen by a doctor at 11:15pm. In the meantime, we racked up over $30 in car parking fees while sitting in a freezing emergency department. We were still sitting there at 12:14am while she had further tests and waited for a decision about whether they were going to keep her in or not. She’s sick, she’s tired and she’s emotional and she was forced to sit in a chair in a freezing emergency room when she should be in a bed. Shame on you hospital, health system, government - worse than third world conditions - I pay my taxes, I have health insurance and it doesn’t count for anything.

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear fornaxjg38

Thank you for sharing your experience following you and your adult daughter attending the Box Hill Hospital Emergency Department. I would like to apologise for this not being as positive experience as we would all want.

In order to understand and review your particular experience and circumstances, I would welcome you making contact with the Eastern Health Centre for Patient Experience either via email feedback@easternhealth.org.au or by calling 1800 EASTERN.

As you would be aware, at times emergency departments can have numerous patients who require urgent care and treatment. Whilst I cannot say this was the case during your experience, I hope potential waiting times were explained to you and your daughter. I was dissappointed to hear the area was cold and will ask the team to review and see what can be done to make it more comfortable.

I hope your daughter is on the road to better health.

David