"Embarrassing having to tell my symptoms to a waiting room full of people"

About: Fitzroy Crossing Hospital

Often I can't get GP appointments so I have to go through the emergency/triage system to see a doctor. I find this quite confronting as I have to explain my symptoms (which have often been of a private nature) to the nurse at the front triage desk, in front of a waiting room of people. This is especially uncomfortable because this is a small town where everybody knows each other. I also feel uncomfortable sitting in the waiting room hearing other people being triaged. The whole process is very public and I don't feel like there is much respect for people's privacy.

Response from Robyn Gibson, A/Operations Manager, Derby and Fitzroy Valley Health Services, WACHS Kimberley

Dear Fitzroy Crossing resident

Thank you for the information you have given us about the Triage and Waiting areas at Fitzroy Crossing Hospital and I apologise for the delay in responding to you about this.

I do understand the embarrassment of talking about personal information in a waiting room full of people and particularly in a small town where everyone knows each other and we are looking at ways to change this situation and make it better for all concerned.

We are planning to make a change to this area to ensure more privacy for all patients and I will be able to provide you with more information once these are finalised. In the meantime, I am happy to discuss your concerns further and hope you will be able to contact me by phone 9193 3275 or in person when I am visiting Fitzroy Crossing.

Kind regards,