"Nurse being unprofessional to staff"

About: Rockingham General Hospital

(as a relative),

Recently I accompanied my mother for surgery. During the afternoon when passing the surgery nurses desk I witnessed an older nurse (unsure of their name) being extremely rude to a young/possibly student nurse. Throughout the snippet of conversation, I witnessed the older nurse continuously exclaim to the younger nurse - you're just a student, you're just a student - in a very demeaning and inappropriate way. I would like to think that a hospital willing to educate would not allow for that type of, what I believe is, bullying in the workplace. The young nurse was clearly embarrassed by the altercation and the people surrounding and when trying to defend themselves was cut off by the older nurse. This was utterly inappropriate and appalling to see happen! I will be returning to the hospital to also file a written complaint as I hope no one else has to walk by that type of abuse of power. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from an older nurse. You should be fostering knowledge not belittling those who still require teaching.

Response from Kath Smith, Executive Director, Rockingham Peel Group, South Metropolitan Health Service

Dear atlastw36

I am very concerned that such unprofessional behaviour occurred and that you and others had to witness this. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Such behaviour between our staff members is unacceptable as you have indicated and not within our values as a health service. I am sorry that you witnessed this. Please accept my sincere apologies for the behaviour and for the way in which you were made to feel.

I can assure you that I will look into the matter and that your story will be passed onto relevant managers and the surgical nursing staff as a reminder around respectful and appropriate feedback and communication.

Once again thank you for taking the time to let me know about this experience. I trust your mother has made a speedy recovery.

Kath Smith