"Pressure area sores"

About: Maroondah Hospital

.I am extremely grateful to Maroondah ED / ICU for saving my life.  However the Pressure area sore I got on my sacrum in Maroondah ICU (which I spoke about in a previous post) I have just been told (by a Plastic Surgeon at the hospital that I was transferred to) is going to take months to heal, and I will have to buy hundreds of dollars' worth of ongoing nutritional supplies and medical supplies to ensure that the wound doesn’t deteriorate or need surgery.  I am so disappointed that something that can and should have been avoided by Basic Nursing Care, will delay my total recovery back by months.  How am I supposed to pay for all the things I have been told that I need, that cost a substantial amount?  And having to hope that I don’t need to be somewhere for our kids when Hospital in the Home is (hopefully coming to do the dressing daily) due, the 7 days a week needed to dress this wound?

And the cost of the Arginaid Drinks, Protein Shakes, etc, the Dietitian wants me to have to hopefully help the wound heal.

I am also being told that I have to buy special pressure relieving cushions for sitting and bed.

This is a substantial amount to have to come up with, unexpectedly and at the moment I don’t know where or how I am going to be able to source it.

The fact that this could have all been avoided with proper basic nursing care, I find it just upsetting and bewildering that a hospital the size of Maroondah allows this to happen.

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear Best Practice

Thank you again for sharing your experience when in the Intensive Care at Maroondah Hospital. I would like to apologise again that you suffered a pressure sore during this admission.

I believe the right thing to do would be to undertake an investigation regarding why you got a pressure sore. In order to progress this, could I please ask if you could make contact with the Eastern Health Centre for Patient Experience privately either via email at feedback@easternhealth.org.au or through calling 1800 EASTERN

Should you wish not to make contact I completely understand but hope we hear from you.

David