"Retinal detachment"

About: Sydney / Sydney Eye Hospital / 2 West & Hand Clinic Sydney / Sydney Eye Hospital / Emergency Department

Scar tissue from a previous surgery caused a rapid tearing and detachment of the retina affecting the macular. Overnight I found myself almost fully blind in the left eye. After consulting the surgeon who performed the original surgery I was referred to Sydney Eye Hospital and advised to go there straight away. I made my trip via train and was very worried about the outcome, but comforted knowing I was going to the specialists.

From the moment I entered the emergency department with my referral letter and met with the triage nurse I knew I was in safe hands. From this point and through every stage of my assessment, admission, surgery and pre and post op care I was seen and treated as a whole person, not just an eye that needed fixing. Staff made me feel safe and respected. Every single person I encountered demonstrated friendly, compassionate, genuine care for myself and my difficult roommate. They always spoke kindly, calmly and reassuringly in their dealings with patients.  Of particular note were my nurses, Jill and Lucy from 2 West and Wendy, who saw me through the pre-op process and helped keep my fears away. Of course the surgeons, the mysterious Dr Mark and the attentive Dr Neil will always hold a special place in my life. The gift of being able to see my most  precious grandchildren's faces cannot be surpassed. I wish I could remember all the names of all the staff who had a hand in my care. I appreciated everyone of you and think myself blessed to have been sent to Sydney Eye Hospital. What an outstanding facility and team. Thank you all so very much.

Response from Jennie Barry, General Manager, Prince of Wales/Sydney/Sydney Eye Hospital

Dear Nena

It is heartwarming to hear you were treated with such respect, compassion and kindness, as well as having exceptional clinical expertise. You have made particular comments about Dr Mark, Dr Neil, Jenny, Jill, Lucie and Wendy and I will ensure they receive your positive comments (along with their manager).

I wish you all the very best and many thanks for sharing your experience at Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital.

Jennie