"Inappropriate comment"

About: Kalgoorlie Health Campus

(as a relative),

Why on earth would a Pharmacist at Kalgoorlie Health Campus think it's appropriate to tell a 93 year old patient to whom they are dispensing medication that they're gay? Why would they even think that's appropriate or relevant, I will never know. Seriously would a 93 year old even know what that meant?

Response from Geraldine Ennis, Regional Director, WACHS - Goldfields

Dear jarlea

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I apologise for any distress this may have caused you or the 93 year old patient.

If you would like to discuss this matter further can you please contact David Bowdidge, Operations Manager Kalgoorlie Hospital on 90805817.

I hope you are well and we look forward to hearing from you to discuss the above matter.

Geraldine M Ennis PSM

Regional Director

WACHS Goldfields

• melontx49 thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by melontx49 (a relative)

Dear Ms Ennis,

Thank you for your response. There is no distress or offence. I just thought it completely odd that my partner whose relative is the 93 year old patient would come home on the day of discharge and say to me, there must be a gay Pharmacist working at the hospital. So I said, why would you say such a thing? My partner said to me that their relative said to them that the pharmacist said they were gay and that relative didn't know why the pharmacist would have said such a thing. I have absolutely no idea how the sexual orientation of a staff member would possibly come up in the context of issuing medication to a patient; any patient, let alone a 93 year old one. We all just thought it was a completely irrelevant piece of personal information that absolutely did not need to be shared and not related in any way to patient care.