"I feel betrayed by the healthcare system."

About: Armadale Hospital / Emergency Department

A couple of years ago:

I feel totally betrayed by the health care system. The ED at the hospital

1. A broken L. Hip = no fracture (xray) = go home. I refused. = come back = being told here is no break. This is what we are going to do:  We will fill you full of painkillers; walk you around until you are OK, and then you can go home in a taxi." Me = no, something's wrong, I will not take painkillers, and I will stay here until you find out what it is.

Outcome = I was reluctantly admitted overnight.

Next day. CT Scan revealed a break in the L. Hip. I was transported to Fremantle Hospital and had 3 screws inserted in my L. Hip.

Over a year ago:

I presented with a broken R. Wrist. X-ray = no break. Told to go home. I did so.

A number of days later a CT scan revealed a break in the R. wrist.

I then received appropriate care.

In the last six months:

I felt I was, once again, not believed.

I presented with a fractured vertebrae, lower R. Lumbar + a broken rib + a sprained R. ring finger.

X-ray = no break. Told to go home. I refused. I could not weight bear. Eventually I was reluctantly admitted overnight.

The following day I was discharged against my wishes. I kept stating that I could not weight-bare and something was very wrong with me. Was told the doctors had had a conference and their decision was that I was to be discharged as there was no break and nothing else was wrong with me.

In response to my inability to weigh bear I was told: That's no problem. We will put you in a wheelchair and call a taxi. Wheel you downstairs. Put you in the taxi and they will take you home.

This is what happened.

Some days later a CT scan revealed a break: R. Lumbar vertebrae of the spine.

I did not receive appropriate care for this injury.

Three times I believe the ED Dept of the Armadale Hospital has demonstrated no care towards me and no appropriate response.

Response from Diane Barr, Executive Director, Armadale Kalamunda Group

Dear apusxr63

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and I am very sorry to hear of your various experiences while seeking treatment at the Armadale Hospital Emergency Department (ED).

Coming to an ED with an illness or an injury can be a very anxious time and I am disappointed to read that you felt your concerns were not listened to by our staff.

Listening to patients and involving them in decisions regarding their care and treatment is a very important aspect of patient care. As such, I am concerned that what you have described was not what we would normally expect of our staff.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to follow up on your concerns as this will enable us to identify how we can improve to reduce the likelihood of a similar occurrence in the future.

If this is something that interests you, please consider contacting our Consumer Liaison Office on (08) 9391 1153 or email AKG_ConsumerLiaison@health.wa.gov.au at a time convenient for you.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and for sharing your concerns with me.

Yours sincerely