"I felt my child was refused care"

About: Kalgoorlie Health Campus / Emergency Department

(as a parent/guardian),

I took my child to emergency in Kalgoorlie recently because they hadn't eaten in 3 days or had a drink of anything in 24 hours. They also had a throbbing headache that comes and goes suddenly. They had been vomiting for the past 24 hours anything they tried to keep down. My child had been given liquid panadol but couldn't handle it they kept gaging on it. When we got thru to see a doctor they gave my child a dissolving pill to help with nausea, then 20 mins later gave my child a panadol tablet which they told the doctor they couldn't swallow. I then told the doctor that my child had an eating problem over the past 3 years, and that they are pretty much on a liquid diet, which my child is only just starting to get over. The doctor told us if my child didn't swallow the tablet then we had to leave. I'm not sure what to do with my child now as they are very lethargic. I feel we have just been neglected. This is unacceptable

Response from Geraldine Ennis, Regional Director, WACHS - Goldfields

Dear julywb57,

I am deeply concerned to hear your report about the treatment of your child. I have asked for this report to be formally investigated and will be in touch with you about the outcome. Could I ask you to contact David Bowdidge, Operations Manager, Kalgoorlie Hospital, on 9080 5817, so we can be sure to identify this case correctly and add further to the details you have offered? I apologise for your experience and reassure you the matter is being investigated.

Geraldine M Ennis PSM