"Lack of privacy during questioning"

About: Broome Health Campus / Emergency Department

While admitted to the emergency department at Broome Hospital, I was placed in a room with another man and a woman next to us with only a curtain to separate us. The two police officers were questioning the woman about a domestic violence incident with a lot of detail including names of families, details of crimes, street names and history. I felt extremely uncomfortable but also for her knowing this was not professional and good practice from the police to protect the victim and other family members. I removed myself to the waiting room and put a complaint in with the doctor. She and the other hospital staff were professional and excellent. The police should know better and I hope this is followed up. I can provide times and date.

Response from Bec Smith, Regional Director, WACHS - Kimberley

Dear Upset for victims

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I would be happy to discuss this with the Superintendent of Police.

Can you please contact me directly via email Bec.Smith@health.wa.gov.au to provide me with more specific details?

Bec Smith

Regional Director

Response from Wendy McKinley, Operations Manager, Broome Hospital

Dear Upset for victims

I saw your post and thought you might like to know that this matter had already been escalated to me, as the Operations Manager, following your feedback to staff at the time.

I am pleased to be able to advise that we had already identified this as an issue and are in the process of enclosing one of the cubicles in the Emergency Department so that we can have a more private space for those more delicate presentations.

I would just like to say thank you for your post. Consumer experience and engagement is critical in allowing us to continually assess and improve services.

Wendy