"Poor patient treatment"

About: Wonthaggi Hospital / Emergency Department

(as a relative),

My elderly dad was in a MVA (motor vehicle accident) and was ambulanced to Bass Coast Health ED. He was in a lot of pain and put in an aspen collar for precaution. The RN’s on the AM shift were lovely, and did everything they could to minimise pain. However, there was a particular Senior ED RN, on afternoon shift, that was very unpleasant. I asked that my dad be given pain relief, because he was extremely uncomfortable. I explained that the AM staff crushed the medication, mixed it with milk and put it in a syringe. They then tilted the entire stretcher so that dad didn’t have to move and cause more pain, he took his meds comfortably. The RN didn’t like my suggestion, refused to crush his tablets, and proceeded to try and sit my dad up. My dad screamed out in pain, and resisted to sit up. I was shocked and devastated, and asked her to stop. She then looked at my dad and said - Don’t fight me, because you’ll hurt my back. I was extremely upset with this treatment. My dad was supposed to get pain relief before they attempted to move him. I believe nurse is supposed to be compassionate and understanding and should be aware of verbal and physical cues of pain. I was not impressed at all.

Response from Jan Child, CEO, Bass Coast Health

Dear Upset family member. I am so sorry that you had this experience. I would very much appreciate you calling me on my mobile (0472846355) so that I could get the details and follow up. Please call.

Many thanks. Jan.