"Trying to make an appointment"

About: Royal Melbourne Hospital

Put in hold 25mins when trying to make an appointment for the Opthalmology Clinic only to be cut off.  Tried again and again - same story.

Feeling so angry, put me through to the complaints section only to hear a recorded message!

I believe this is simply not good enough when you are always bragging about how wonderful you are and how you care so much about your patients. I feel that is simply a lie! If this goes on I may never get an appointment! What do I do then!

Response from George Braitberg, Executive Director Strategy, Quality and Improvement, Melbourne Health

Dear mayze76

Thank you for your feedback and I apologise that we were not able to meet your reasonable expectations.

Our Outpatient Department receives a large number of calls and is staffed until 6 pm Monday to Thursday and until 4.45 pm on Friday. Unanswered calls are directed to a message bank which is checked very regularly throughout the day, and the majority of calls are returned on the same or next day.

We do pride ourselves on providing patient-centered care and part of this is to be prepared to apologise when we don't appear to get it right. It is important that we receive feedback such as yours to help us improve our processes.

If you have any problems in the future please leave your details on the voicemail and we will get back to you.

If you have any further questions I would ask that you contact our Consumer Liaison Service on the following email: consumerliaison@mh.org.au.

Regards,