Information for professionals
In the UK, thousands of people are sharing their stories about their experiences of health services on Patient Opinion. Hundreds of organisations are listening and responding to their patients on our site. Millions are reading these conversations. We envisage similar sharing of stories about experiences of health services across Australia.
Do you know what your patients are saying about you?
What does Patient Opinion do?
Patient Opinion is a website where the public can publish their experiences of local health services. The website allows health service staff to interact with these patients to help improve care.
Patient Opinion is a not-for-profit charitable organisation. We exist to help improve dialogue between patient and health service providers and to improve health services.
How does it work?
- Members of the public anonymously post a story (positive or negative) on the website about a local health service (we have their email address, but you wont know who they are). Our highly experienced team moderates all stories to ensure they are not defamatory for any member of staff.
- Health service staff can then be alerted when a story is posted about the health service, ward or department that they are interested in.
- The organisation can then publish a response to the story on the website
- The patient or carer is then alerted to the organisation's response and the dialogue continues
- Where appropriate, the health service provider can demonstrate whether a change has been made as a result of the story posted on the site
- People visiting the website are able to search and review all patient/carer stories about healthcare services. Responses from relevant healthcare organisations are also public. Visitors to the PO website are able to see the number of people in the healthcare organisation listening to patient stories.
As patient choice increases and more people use the internet to source information to help make decisions, listening and talking to people on Patient Opinion is more important than ever. Patient Opinion is here to increase dialogue between your organisation and the community you serve.
Patient Opinion understands that gathering stories is time consuming for busy health professionals. Knowing how to work effectively with patient stories is not as straightforward as working with data or statistics, but Patient Opinion has nine years of experience working with health organisations to help them get the most out of this type of patient feedback.
We also provide plenty of online help and resources to help you understand what we do, how best to use it, and how to spread the word.