"Staff making fun of patients"

About: Maroondah Hospital / IPU1 & IPU2

I was recently admitted to IPU2 at Maroondah Hospital. While I was there I was waiting at the the windows on the nurses office and could hear nurses in the other part of the office making comments, laughing at, and making fun of other patients. I also heard confidential information about patients. Staff should know that the glass is not soundproof and should not be making such comments at all regardless. I have seen some of the other feedback about IPU2 on your site and am shocked.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Response from Alan Lilly, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear depressedguy

Thank you for courageously sharing your feedback on Patient Opinion. I am very disappointed to read about your experience and absolutely understand your own concern in this regard. I am really sorry that you have experienced this in our Eastern Health Mental Health service.

You can be reassured that I will raise this as a priority with Deb Siddall (the IPU manager) this afternoon and I can also assure you that Deb does indeed take this feedback seriously.

I will ask her to discuss this in detail with staff and remind them of their obligations with regard to maintaining the dignity of patients and the privacy of patient information.

Once again, I am really sorry that you have experienced our services in this way and you can be reassured of my own attention to ensuring that we share your feedback and build improvements based on it.

Kind regards, Alan Lilly

• depressedguy doesn't think this response is helpful
    {{helpful}} of {{totalOthers()}} other people think it is helpful

Response from Alan Lilly, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear depressedguy

By way of an update, I wanted to let you know that I have been in touch with Deb Siddall and she has already discussed this with the Consultant in Charge, Dr Jenny Babb. As a result of this, they have sent out a joint communication to staff with regard to appropriate behaviour expectations and maintaining confidentiality. Deb told me that she was most disappointed by this and will continue to reinforce professional expectations of staff at all times. She also said that if you wished to, you could speak to her directly in the Unit or via phone and her telephone number is: 9955 1196.

Thanks again, Alan Lilly