"People say you lose your dignity at times like that, but at no point did I feel undignified"

About: Box Hill Hospital

I fell over and needed to be taken by ambulance to Box Hill where I stayed on a ward for a couple of weeks to continue daily radiotherapy at Peter Mac across the road. The care I received from the nurses was outstanding in every respect. I ended up paralysed and unable to do personal things, a situation I'd not been in before. People say you lose your dignity at times like that but I say that at no point did I feel undignified, the nurses were without exception kind, patient, professional, they listened to me, they made a terrible time tolerable and they did it with a smile. I was and remain incredibly grateful and impressed.

I was not so impressed with the physio team who twice came to see me with the odd notion that somehow I could stand on my own and perhaps even walk. I felt two potentially valuable sessions were utterly wasted through their miscommunication.

I also paid for a couple of days internet but it was hopeless, could not even use gmail! And iview was blocked, no skype, no point having it and at $5 a day definitely not worth it. At Peter Mac there is free patient Wi-Fi, free TV and free local phone calls from the minute you arrive which makes life easier.

Response from Alan Lilly, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear Ulus

Thank you for sharing your story on Patient Opinion. I am sorry to read about what must have been a very challenging time for you personally but glad to see that our nurses cared for you in a way which made you as comfortable as possible and importantly, allowed you to experience your care in a dignified manner - all with a smile too. Just goes to show that a simple smile can make a big difference - and it's free! I will let our Director of Nursing & Operations know and she will be sure to pass on this feedback at her next meeting with the nurse managers.

I am sorry though to read about your issues with the physiotherapy service and the internet and if you would be kind enough to provide me with your specific details, I could take a closer look at those matters for you. My email address is alan.lilly@easternhealth.org.au

However, if you prefer to remain anonymous, I will respect your decision either way. In the meantime, take care and thanks again for sharing your story - it helps us focus on where we do things well and importantly, where we need to improve too.

Kind regards, Alan Lilly

• ulus thinks this response is helpful

Recently read