"Corneal transplant at Sydney Eye Hospital."

About: Sydney / Sydney Eye Hospital

(as a friend),

I am an elderly patient who lives about 500 km away from Sydney. Last night, I had a second procedure, as the first one failed. Every single person who looked after me was absolutely marvelous! The possibility of another failed procedure was causing me enormous stress. But everybody I met went out of their way to talk to me, reassure me, make sure I was comfortable, warm and calm. Everybody explained what was happening and why. I was shown respect, understanding warmth and caring. I do not remember all the names, but Chris in the recovery ward comes to mind. His light-hearted (while very serious) and humorous ways went a long way to making my stay stress free. I am in debt with every one of these young people. There were complications during the night. They were resolved speedily, with their unwavering dedication, while reassuring me all the time. I am in awe of their knowledge and patience.

When things do not happen the way we expect, we complain loudly.

Well, I commend you all for your efforts and your big hearts. Thank you to all my doctors and nurses. You are all fantastic!

Response from Jennie Barry, Director of Nursing & Support Services, Nursing Services, Sydney/Sydney Eye Hospital

Dear Marvelous,

Thank you for taking time to share this experience with us all on Patient Opinion. Surgery can be a very stressful event & it is reassuring to know that our staff were able to assist in reducing this for you through their humour, care, warmth and understanding. Your acknowledgement of their dedication to care and their expertise is very welcome and I will ensure your ‘post’ is delivered to all the staff, with special note to Chris.

All the best in your recovery and again thank you for your story.

Jennie