You're offline
You're back online! Refresh the page
The site has been updated! Refresh the page

"Lack of Soap / Hand Sanitiser During Flu Epidemic"

About: Ipswich Hospital

I was in the Ipswich Public Hospital.

One thing I noticed when going to the bathroom in the emergency waiting room is that the soap dispenser was empty.

So I went to use the hand sanitiser dispenser. All three boxes in the waiting room were also empty. I luckily found a pump bottle at the triage desk.

I was appalled to see the lack of these products in a hospital during the worst flu season we have seen in a long time.

Response from Sandy Lewis, Senior Consumer Liaison Officer, Clinical Governance, Queensland Health - West Moreton

Dear Sanitisation

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We agree that the promotion of good hand hygiene is essential for everyone.

While our hand sanitisers are checked daily and replaced when empty, there is currently an increased demand for this product in the Emergency Department due to increased presentations.

In order to make sure that our patients and their families always have access to hand hygiene products, we will increase the daily check of product replacement.

We sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to raise this issue and we would encourage all patients and visitors to immediately let our staff know if they discover that hand sanitisers require replacement.

Once again, thank you for helping us to improve our healthcare services.

Yours sincerely