"Accessing departments"

About: Maroondah Hospital

After a horrible experience in Day Surgery I rang the Patient feedback area and was informed (by the answering machine) that I should speak with the manager of the department concerned. For the next 9 working days I spent up to 2 hours a day trying to contact what began to seem like a mythical creature.

At one point I was put through to a child. She said her mum was busy and hung up on me when she didn't seem to know what else to do.

Contacting Eastern Health was rarely a stressful experience until one area became responsible for all EH calls.

Those I have spoken to recently do not seem to understand anything at all about hospital structure or who to speak to when making a complaint. I am sure this would not be the only area receiving less calls and frustrating members of the public.

As I had been treated extremely poorly in Day Surgery, my stress increased every day until I managed to speak to someone at last, at the Patient feedback area.

Please do some training with your phone staff.

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health We are preparing to make a change

Dear Kazzabo

I would like to apologise for your experience in trying to contact various services within Eastern Health, especially when you were trying to provide us feedback on your recent experience in Day Surgery at Maroondah Hospital.

Thank you for your tenacity and I would also like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Patient Opinion.

It is clear from your feedback, improvements are needed and I will ensure we review our current systems and processes. I can assure you, notwithstanding your difficulties, receiving feedback such as yours is very important to me and the Executive team at Eastern Health.

I will follow up with the staff in the Centre for Patient Experience regarding your feedback regarding your care in Day Surgery as well.

David