"Telehealth experience"

About: Royal Perth Hospital / Renal (Nephrology) & Urology & Endocrine Medicine & Ward 6A/6B/6C Telehealth Service - WACHS Kimberley

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

Appointment with RPH Urology department booked for 1430 (patient lives approximately 3000kms from Perth).

Practice nurse attending with the patient for support and to plan follow-up from the appointment.

At 1500 called telehealth and was advised another 20-minute wait.

Nurse had to return to their clinic to see other patients.

Patient on their own for appointment - anxious and afraid.

Patient still waiting at 1600 when reception staff at health centre went home.

Eventually seen at 1630 - 2-hour wait.

Response from David Gaskell, Regional Medical Director, Medical, WA Country Health Service

Dear sunqp66

Thanks for your advocacy and feedback regarding this care delivery problem which caused anxiety, inconvenience and risks like miscommunication. Please convey my apologies.

I want reassurance that this patient's needs were met and that further care if needed will be put in place.

So I can look into this right away, could you phone 08 9195 2450 and ask for me, please - to investigate, I need the personal details. I'll find out what happened and why, and get back to you.

Your action and duty of care are to commended, well done and thank you.

David

Response from Aresh Anwar, Executive Director, Royal Perth Bentley Group

Dear sunqp66,

Thank you for taking the time to share this patient’s experience with Royal Perth Hospital (RPH).

This is not the kind of service we like to provide and I would like to sincerely apologise for the angst and fear as well as the inconvenience this caused the patient.

I see that my colleague Dr David Gaskell has responded to you as well and I will be in contact with David so that collectively we can investigate and put in place steps to prevent this from occurring in the future.

Once again apologies for the shortfall in our service delivery.

Dr Aresh Anwar