"Cleanliness in a tertiary hospital"

About: Fiona Stanley Hospital / Chemotherapy Unit, Cancer Centre, Cancer Outpatients Clinic, Bone Marrow Transplant, Oncology, Radiation Oncology & Ward 7C

(as a staff member),

I recently attended Fiona Stanley Hospital (FSH) and was required to sit in the chairs in the Radiation Oncology Department and felt very uncomfortable doing this due to the state of the arms of the chairs. They were sticky, grimy and disgusting. I didn't want to sit down, but had no option so tried not to put my arms onto the arms of the chair. They were all the same so there was no option to sit on a clean chair.

Response from Neil Doverty, Executive Director, Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group, South Metropolitan Health Service We have made a change

Dear Embarrassed,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the chairs in the Radiation Oncology Department. I would like to assure you, these chairs are cleaned daily, Monday to Friday.

I have been to the area, and inspected these chairs. What was observed, is the textured coating wearing away on the arms. To the touch, it isn’t sticky, however from appearance, it does look sticky, this can be noticed in the photo (below).

There are currently 9 of these older style chairs in the waiting area of the Radiation Oncology Department, they are being replaced with the colourful type chairs (photo below).

Image title

Due to the appearance of these chairs and your feedback, our cleaning team is liaising with the Radiation Oncology Department on removing these chairs from the patient waiting area.

Kind regards,

Neil Doverty

Update posted by Embarrassed (a staff member)

Thank you. I was not aware of this this coating on the chairs. I'm very happy that they are changing the chairs. People will feel much more comfortable sitting in these new ones.