"Respect and compassion shown at Maroondah Hospital"

About: Maroondah Hospital / Emergency Department

I was recently a patient at Maroondah Hospital in Ward 3 East, I had my gallbladder removed after coming to the Emergency Department in excruciating pain with a blocked bile duct and infection.

At the best of times I am an anxious, easily rattled person, this was not the best of times! I know I’m not the easiest patient, but all the staff I saw in Ward 3 east at Maroondah Hospital were the most kind, patient and compassionate people, especially Margaret (I hope I have the right name? It’s hard to remember because I was pretty out of it) who I was lucky enough to have as my overnight nurse for 2 nights. I can’t even imagine how difficult things would’ve been for me without her kind and caring, quiet and calm nature that had a way of making me relax and not get so worked up about the things that scared me. I hope I didn’t frustrate her too much and that she knows what a difference she made to me. It was not just her though, I just feel like the majority of the staff on that ward genuinely care about their patients and treat them with respect and compassion and I wanted to write a review somewhere to express my gratitude.

Thank you to all on Ward 3 East and also in the Emergency Department who were also very helpful at Maroondah Hospital.

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear chachagz45

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your throughts regarding your recently experience at Maroondah Hospital. I was really pleased to read how the staff brought the Eastern Health values of Patients First, Kindness, Respect, Excellence, Agility and Humility to live as evident by your comments. I am so proud of the efforts of everyone involved in your care.

It will give me great plesaure to share your comments with the 3 East team, the Emergency Department team and especially Margaret!

I trust you are recovering well now and rest assured many people find coming to and being admitted to hospital a difficult and challenging experience!

Kind regards and take care.

David