"My father's care"

About: Bridgetown Hospital Bunbury Hospital

(as a relative),

Late last year my father started receiving treatment for a skin cancer that had been left unmanaged for an extended period. It has been quite a journey since, but I would like to take a moment to thank the many health care providers who have assisted to date.

After initial investigations, responsibility for his care (including wound management/dressing changes) was transferred to my parent's local hospital in Bridgetown. As his condition progressively declined, the care with which he has been handled by the nursing staff there, and his GP, has been commendable.

In particular, Nurse Leanne has been outstanding - I believe her culturally sensitive approach to his care enabled my father to gain trust in a profession he has long been highly skeptical (and I believe scared) of. This has assisted him in accepting the care he requires.

Nurse Leanne has since relocated to another hospital, and my father is currently staying in the Palliative Ward at Bunbury Hospital under the care of  Dr. Carolyn, where my mother has been able to stay in a private room with him. This is reassuring given his declining condition, increasing confusion and tendency to panic in my mother's absence.

Despite relocating, Nurse Leanne has maintained contact with us to follow my father's progress, she has continued to be a wonderful source of reassurance and care for both my father and mother. It has been a heartwarming experience and has helped our family so much in dealing with what has been a very sad and difficult process.

Response from Glen Matters, Bunbury Operations Manager, WACHS South West

Dear grateful family member 01,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Patient Opinion, particularly during this difficult time for you, your father, mother and family. Thank you for your kind words about Leanne, and I am sure my colleagues from Bridgetown Hospital will respond as well.

Thank you as well for your words of thanks of the palliative care services at Bunbury. It is very much appreciated and I will make sure this feedback is provided to the staff.

I wish you and your family all the best for this sad and difficult process.

Regards

Glen Matters

Operations Manager Bunbury Hospital

• grateful family member 01 thinks this response is helpful

Response from Anne-Maree Martino, District Manager, Blackwood, WACHS - South West

Dear grateful family member 01,

Thank you for sharing your story on Patient Opinion and your kind words in regard to staff at Bridgetown, your father's GP and in particular Nurse Leanne.

We have a dedicated team and I am pleased they were able to assist your Dad. It is heart-warming to know we made a difference and that Nurse Leanne’s approach aided your Dad to trust our staff and accept the care he requires.

Thank you once again for your story, I will ensure your positive feedback is relayed to the Bridgetown Hospital staff, GP and Nurse Leanne.

Anne-Maree Martino