"Waiting time for a Dermatologist appointment"

About: Fiona Stanley Hospital / Dermatology Department

I have been waiting just under two years for an appointment. I have had three texts from the Dermatology Department. Between those, there has been no correspondence.

My GP has phoned my private specialist concerned, as the rash has been taking over my body. Still nothing has happened.

The rash is currently on my arms, upper body, under-arms and my groin. I’m worried it’s not the same as I’ve had before.

Response from Neil Doverty, Executive Director, Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group, South Metropolitan Health Service

Dear octoberdn53,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to hear your wait has been longer than you expected to be seen in the Dermatology Clinic here at Fiona Stanley Hospital. The Dermatology Clinic does have a large waitlist and the clinical team are looking at ways to improve referral management as well as appointment availability.

Without knowing the particulars of your situation, I am unable to comment further on your particular case. I urge you to contact us on 6152 4013 so that we can look into your situation further.

I note your GP is liaising with your private specialist for further assistance. If your condition has changed since the referral to the public system, your GP can contact FSH again to update your referral so that it may be considered for escalation.

Regarding the text messages you have received, Fiona Stanley Fremantle Hospitals Group has been undertaking an audit of the Outpatient waitlist to identify those patients who still need treatment. This will enable us to offer appointments to those who still require one, removing any patients who no longer do. As a part of the audit, we are sending SMS notifications with a link to a questionnaire. You will have also have received a referral acknowledgment notification by SMS when the FSH Dermatology Department triaged and accepted your referral.

Neil Doverty