"Waiting for treatment"

About: Sydney / Sydney Eye Hospital / 2 West & Hand Clinic

I'm pleased the first part of my story has been shared,  I really hope it's helpful. There has been some developments since.

I waited hours on the ward for a doctor to put in my canular to start IV antibiotics. The nurses were apologetic and I felt concerned because infection was the primary concern and reason for my admission. Post-op my antibiotics made me very nauseous. I wondered whether something simple like having food at the time they were given would have helped. I know it's hard to juggle meals with medication but perhaps a snack of some kind could be available. My antibiotics were changed and I was grateful I was carefully monitored to make sure they would be ok.

Response from Alan Porritt, Director of Nursing and Support Services, Nursing, Sydney Hospital & Sydney Eye Hospital

Dear ospreyrb78,

Again thank you for your feedback, your earlier story was very helpful and your feedback is valuable, as it allows us to pause and reflect on what is important to our patients. I am sorry to hear you reacted to the first antibiotics you received, but pleased to hear you were carefully monitored going forward. I will ensure your feedback is shared with the nursing and medical staff within the Hand Unit.

All the best for your ongoing treatment

Alan