"Water birth"

About: Broome Health Campus / Maternity/Midwifery

I am currently pregnant in my third trimester and have been living in Broome for a number of years.

I have a young child and they were born here through the Midwifery Program. It was really amazing service and l felt so secure and comfortable. Really appreciate them for supporting us so much!

I am also really happy with the Midwifery Program now. l am wondering if l can do a water birth this time, so l asked my midwife about it, but there is no current water birth service in Broome Hospital.

I have experienced my sister's water birth in Cairns in the past. It was really smooth and amazing birth. I really wish l could do same in here too.

Response from Wendy McKinley, Operations Manager, Broome Hospital

Dear Gago

Thank you for your post.

It is lovely to learn that you had such a positive experience with our midwifery program and I will be sure to pass along your feedback to the team.

Broome Hospital is currently looking at water birth options and a significant amount of effort has gone into preparing for the introduction of this service. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be available by the time you are expected to deliver.

As I am sure you can imagine, we need to ensure implementation of any new service is done safely and in a planned and structured way.

Please accept my congratulations on your pregnancy and well wishes for your upcoming delivery. I trust that you will enjoy the same level of service and satisfaction at Broome Hospital as you have in the past.

Sincerely