"Night nurses"

About: Ipswich Hospital

I recently spent a night in a ward following day surgery - extended surgery unit where I was the only one up my end and didn’t sleep at all because of the double main glass doors being slammed shut numerous times and the patient call bell going off in front of my bed. Therefore I noticed that 2 nurses took it in turns to have a sleep, one using their mobile phone to set their alarm.  Is it common practice for this to happen? After all they are getting paid to look after the patients and what if 2 different patients needed care at the same time.

In the morning when it was approx. 5 to 5.30 am one of the nurses took the machine off the cannula and told me I could get dressed anytime when I was still trying to sleep and seemed to begrudgingly say I could make myself a cup of tea or they could. So I said the nurse could. They took off the cuffs on my legs and didn’t even see if I had trouble walking to the toilet.

Response from Sandy Lewis, Senior Consumer Liaison Officer, Clinical Governance, Queensland Health - West Moreton

Dear Unlucky

We are so sorry that your recent experience in the Ipswich Hospital was not favourable.

Like you, we are concerned about the issues highlighted by your recent stay and are currently following up on this matter and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your personal experience further.

If you would like to speak with us please contact the Consumer Liaison Office on 0409 275 503 during business hours or you can email us at wmh.clo@health.qld.gov.au

Consumer Liaison Office