"BDH Nurse/Patient in ED"

About: Primary & Community Care - Cowes Wonthaggi Hospital / Emergency Department

Last week I attended my GP who made the decision that I needed to go to hospital for further tests to ensure nothing sinister was happening causing the symptoms I was experiencing.

So, of course, living in Cowes I was sent to Wonthaggi ED.  Well I have to say I was very happy with the way I was looked after.  I was recognised by a couple of staff, but I don't normally work in ED so not many and definitely not those who looked after me - so I'm confident I did not receive preferential treatment.

The doctor was great keeping me informed all the way through the process and the nurses on duty were caring and efficient and helped support me and my husband during our worrying time even though they were absolutely overflowing with patients that afternoon.

Luckily for me my test results were all clear and I was allowed to go home with medication and follow up to be undertaken by my GP.  Can't thank you all enough for the care I received it was great and made me proud to be a staff member.

Response from Jan Child, CEO, Bass Coast Health

Dear Staff turned ED patient,

Well...... given you are a valued staff member of BCH, I am very pleased for you, and for us, that there is nothing sinister happening for you, and that you have had the all clear. I hope you are feeling better. It's always very important to understand healthcare from the patient perspective and it is really terrific that your experience (as an anonymous user) was positive - just as it should be. Our message to staff always, is that it is important to provide equal quality care for all community members, just the same as we would like to experience ourselves - how good that it occurred that way for you!

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Take Care, Jan