"Physio appointments"

About: Box Hill Hospital / Maternity Service

I have recently had a baby at Box Hill Hospital and had a wonderful experience overall.

I needed to access a physio due to pelvic pain during the pregnancy, so a referral was done. I got an appointment, but there was an 8 week wait to see a physio.  By this time I was almost due so was the appointment was not going to be any help to me.

Now that I have had the baby I need a physio review 6 weeks after birth.  A referral was made in hospital, but once again the next available appointment is in 11 weeks time. I am now looking at paying and seeing a physio privately as I need to be seen sooner than in 11 weeks.

It seems like there needs to be more appointments available in the physio department to women who come through maternity.  Waiting 8 or more weeks is too many when pregnant or post birth.

Response from David Plunkett, Chief Executive, Eastern Health

Dear triangulumyk77

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding the waiting times to access a physiotherapy appointment. The detail you have provided will enable us to review our access to service to see what improvements can be made to shorten this time to appointment.

Whilst I am not mentioning this specifically to your circumstances, there is always a difficult balance needed between people who need urgent appointments and those that may not be as urgent. When this is coupled with challenges with staffing our services due to a variety of reasons such as vacancies, unplanned leave and ensuring we have specialist skills available, the team are constantly juggling these priorities.

I will forward your feedback to the leadership team to review and work through to implement improvements.

Many thanks again and I trust, aside from this issue, that you and your baby are doing well.

David