"Emergency surgery experience"

About: Broome Health Campus

I needed emergency surgery. I was very well looked after by the nurses, doctors and other hospital staff. I felt safe and very well cared for.

I think the communication between the departments of the hospital could have been a little better.

Once I was well enough to think I was a little horrified by the amount of single-use plastic wrapping individual food items.  The milk came in a small single-use bottle, the cereal was served in an individual box, the juice came in a single-use plastic container, the butter and condiments were in single serves.  Surely it would be more efficient to order in bulk and provide jugs and bowls rather than everything being in disposable, single-serve plastic.

Response from Sue Phillips, Acting Regional Director of Medical Services, WA Country Health Service Kimberley

Dear Moon,

Thank you for your kind feedback about the care you received during your recent surgical experience. It is lovely to hear that our clinical staff are making our patients feel safe and well looked after. We will certainly look at the communication between departments to see if there are things we can improve.

In terms of the packaging issues, it is sad for all of us, and for our planet, that this seems to be the standard being set in most hospitals around the world these days. The amount of disposable packaging that results from a single clinical care encounter is also horrifying to us, as clinicians.

It has recently been suggested that our hospital considers a waste/recycling initiative. It is up to all of us, after all, to think of our environment and the impact of our waste.

So watch this space! I sincerely hope that your feedback helps us to drive this initiative.

Thank you for your thoughtful insights,

Yours sincerely,

Sue

• Moon thinks this response is helpful

Response from Wendy McKinley, Operations Manager, Broome Hospital

Dear Moon

Firstly, thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated.

I thought you might like to know that waste management is an issue that we are looking closely at, for Broome Hospital.

Specifically, we are implementing an Environmental Waste Management Committee/Working Party to review and guide our waste management processes and practices, with a focus on waste prevention. There is a lot we can do in this area and we are excited to start work.

In the interim, the Support Services Coordinator is doing a targeted review of the purchasing of portion controlled items in the catering area and we will move to bulk items where practicable.

Thank you again.