"A recent visit"

About: Wonthaggi Hospital / Emergency Department

During a recent visit to Bass Coast Health Emergency Department, I heard some chimes come over the loud speaker. When I inquired as to what they mean I was told that these ring every time a new baby is born. I then also read the post on Facebook that talks about this and says that they are an opportunity to send a blessing the new baby.

I have to say I have major issues with this. As someone who has experienced numerous pregnancy loss, I find that now that I know this is what the bells are for, they will be a grief trigger to me in the future. So I will be anxious about coming in the Emergency Department or into the hospital as a visitor in the future. Grief can overwhelm you in the most unexpected of ways.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for an employee that may have experienced the loss of a baby to have to hear this all week while they work and be reminded of what they don't have.

Please consider stopping the chimes. I feel it's a ridiculous concept for a professional health service.

Response from Jan Child, CEO, Bass Coast Health

Dear pavofy44,

Thank you for your story. I wonder if you could ring me to chat. I can be contacted on 0472846355.

Many Thanks